“Then Samuel took a stone and set it between Mizpah and Shen, and named it Ebenezer, saying, ‘Thus far the LORD has helped us.'” (1 Sam. 7:12)
When God drove the Philistines from the land of Israel with His thunderous might, Samuel marked the boundary of their protection by creating a monument named ‘Ebenezer’ or ‘stone of help’. A stone to remind all the people of how far God had brought them. The Philistines weren’t entirely defeated yet, but it was good to mark the progress.
We all have our own “Ebenezers” to remind us of our progress:
- The Christian family that now fills a once lonely heart
- A stable job where once stood insecurity and debt
- Laughter at the dinner table of a marriage that once was on the brink
- The spot on the pew that has replaced the spot at the bar
- The dog-eared Bible in the hands that once knew nothing but sin
These are our Ebenezers.
Tomorrow will have more battles to wage and each day has enough trouble of its own, but mark the progress. Thus far the Lord has helped us.
Matt. 4:4 #Biblebites